By the mid-19th century, Nizhny-Novgorod was firmly established as the trade capital of the Russian Empire. The all-Russia industrial and art exhibition was held in Nizhny Novgorod in 1896. Other industries gradually developed, and by the dawn of the 20th century it was a first-rank industrial hub as well. Henry Ford helped build a large truck and tractor plant (GAZ) in the late 1920s, sending along engineers and mechanics, including future labour leader Walter Reuther.
Famous writer Maxim Gorky was born there in 1868. During his lifetime, the city was renamed Gorky following his return to the Soviet Union in 1932 on invitation of Joseph Stalin. The city bore his name until 1991. During that time, the city was closed to foreigners to safeguard the security of Soviet military research. An end to the “closed” status of the city has accompanied the reinstatement of the city’s original name in 1990.
Four-part panorama (15 x 87 cm). Albumen prints, fair tonal range and in fair condition.
Stock ID: 77378