This wood engraving was used as an illustration for Canticum Canticorum published by the Cranach Press, Weimar in 1931. The Cranach Press was run by Count Harry Kessler. Gill had first met Kessler in 1904 when Kessler commissioned Gill to design calligraphic titles and headings. At the time this engraving was undertaken Gill was also working on the carvings for Broadcasting House in London. When the project was completed Kessler wrote to Gill that he though ‘it is one of the most beautiful series of illustrations produced in modern times and that the book will appeal to everybody and all interested in fine illustration and book making.’ (quoted in Eric Gill The Engravings, edited by Christopher Skelton, The Herbert Press, London 1983)
Original wood engraving,1930-31, plate 14.6 X 6.7 cm.
Stock ID: 99692