This journal, which borrowed both the title and format of La Mésangère’s periodical of a hundred years before, was founded by Tom Antonginigini, the secretary, friend and biographer of the poet and collector Gabriele D’Annunzio (1863 – 1938), whom Antonginigini followed to Paris from Italy in 1910. The journal, which features colour pochoirs by Barbier, Bakst, Brunelleschi, Dammy and Martin, was meant as a record of contemporary Parisian culture and fashion. Perhaps less deliberately, it also documents the transition from the end of the Belle Époque to a radically different period in world history. The journal ceased publication in August 1914 due to the outbreak of the First World War.
2 volumes. 8vo, limited to 1250 copies. 1 facsimile plate, 93 etched pochoir plates, without advertisements. Original blue printed paper wrappers bound in, presented in uniform Bordeaux straight-grained morocco gilt, boards ruled in gilt, spine in 6 compartments, top edge gilt; spine slightly sunned but superb copies.
Stock ID: 96625