‘By the end of the 18th century the Hebrew presses of Venice had declined to a point where they were entirely replaced by the Livornese (Leghorn) Hebrew printers, who had been competing for the title ‘the centre of Hebrew printing’ with Venice for more than a century. Livorno finally became the chief supplier of Hebrew books to other Italian communities by the early 19th century.’
‘The Livornese Hebrew printers created their own styles, and their title pages and typography are often readily distinguishable from others. In their Haggadahs, however, they created no new iconography of their own. They were content to copy the woodcuts of the Venetian editions of 1609 and 1629, and their subsequent reprints. Thus through Leghorn the Venetian illustrations achieved an unexpected immortality’ (Yerushalmi, Haggadah and History).
The illustrations and decorative initial letters in this Haggadah are based on the ones of the 1609 Venice Haggadah (see Yerusalmi, plates 44, 45, 46, 54, 91, 92 and 106). Variation copies of these illustrations can be found in other 19th century Livornese Haggadahs, by different publishers.
Quarto, (23 x 16.5 cm); 38 ll. 58 woodcut illustrations in text and additional decorative initial letters. Later 19th century marbled boards with calf spine. Edges and spine rubbed. Leaves clean with occasional light spotting and browning. Text in Hebrew, Aramaic and Ladino.
Yaari 1101; Yudlov 1468.
Stock ID: 97723