Lillies rare books and prints
A collection of nine works; eight are housed in black buckram solander box .
1) 12mo, (12.7 x 8.2 cm),pp [i]-[iii], iv-viii, 1-138, [139-159]. Dedication leaf with engraved calligraphic title and engraved illustration coloured by hand; a second dedication leaf (i), editor's advertisement (iii-iv), uncoloured engraved calendar plates, one for each month of the year and a calendar for the year 1818 (139-159); 12 hand-coloured engraved plates; moiré light blue silk slipcase and cover, richly gilt. slightly worn in parts.
2) One folio album (39 x 27.5 cm), 35 colour printed woodblock prints on handmade paper, each numbered and captioned at top and outlined in ink.
3) One oblong folio (27 x 39 cm) , with a letterpress title-page and table of contents, and 12 large colour plates. Printed on western-style wove paper. Stab sewn with green threads in the original publisher's colour-printed gray paper wrappers (with the flower petals printed in silver). With it is the accompanying 'Special Offer [.] Japanese Liliums' price list, from the Nursery's London office, typed in blue and red on Japanese paper with colour-printed lilies at the foot
4) Folio (40 x 30 cm), 14 collotype plates from photographs, captioned, tissues, bound in printed pictorial wrappers with silk ties, printed label.
5) Folio (46.5 x 33 cm); with 74 coloured woodblocks prints mounted in late nineteenth-century album and one hand-lettered Japanese cover loosely inserted, suggesting that some of the prints were made by Seizan Toko and distributed under the title 'Yuri Mosha' (Copies of Lilies) by the flower society 'Kyusai Yogetsu Kai' (Yogetsu Relief Societyý). With the bookplate of Philippe de Vilmorin (1872 – 1917). Rebacked preserving some of the contemporary half calf.
6) 4to (27 x 19 cm), [i] (3) - 25, 32 plates; with one original hand-coloured gouache of day-lily, (slightly browned) 32 numbered lily species (I-XXXII) on 30 chromolithographed plates. Original publisher's chromolithographed wrappers (with Lilies, Irises and Japanese maple leaves), repaired with tape, with the publisher's letterpress advertisements pasted down to the inside front and back wrapper, (back wrapper torn at edge)
7) 4to (27 x 19 cm); 42 plates, 42 numbered lily species (I - XXXXII) on 42 chromolithographed plates, original chromolithographed wrappers.
8) 4to (27 x 19 cm); contents page and 37 plates , 42 numbered lily species (I - XXXVII) on 37 chromolithographed plates, chromololithographed front wrapper.
9) 4to (27 x 19 cm); (1) - 46, original chromolithographed front wrappers, sewn with white silk, with six lilies on the front and 3 chromolithographed plates of peonies, irises and Japanese maple leaves, 12 monochrome line illustrations in the text, spine slightly tattered.£15,000
PALLAS, P[eter] S[imon].Flora Rossica seu stirpium Imperii Rossici per Europam et Asiam indigenarum descriptiones et icones.
Folio (45.7 x30.5 cm). Hand-coloured engraved title with vignette engraved by I. Bugreev, title, dedication page, VIII, 80 pp and 51 engraved plates by Karl Friedrich Knappe, coloured by hand and numbered in the plate. Contemporary mottled calf, gilt border and doule-headed eagle to covers, spine with raised bands gilt in compartments, contrasting morocco labels gilt-lettered to two, marbled endpapers, blue edges; slightly rubbed.£10,000