Need some motivation to keep on top of those new year resolutions? Who better to take advice from than famous authors, poets and novelists.
For centuries, books have been written in an attempt to share knowledge, inspiration, and discoveries. From Dickens to Rowling, let us impart a few nuggets of wisdom from some of the most revered literary works to help keep you positive.
1. “There will be little rubs and disappointments everywhere, and we are all apt to expect too much; but then, if one scheme of happiness fails, human nature turns to another; if the first calculation is wrong, we make a second better: we find comfort somewhere.”
– Jane Austen, Mansfield Park
2. “It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.”
—J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
3. “There is nothing in the world so irresistibly contagious as laughter and good humour.”
― Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol
4. “The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.”
– G. K. Chesterton, The Riddle of the Ivy
5. “If you look for perfection, you’ll never be content.”
― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina
6. “Nurture your mind with great thoughts. To believe in the heroic makes heroes.”
—Benjamin Disraeli, Coningsby
7. “I know not all that may be coming, but be it what it will, I’ll go to it laughing.”
– Herman Melville, Moby Dick
8. “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
—Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
9. “He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget, that until the day God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words, ‘Wait and Hope.’”
—Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo
10. “There is nothing like a dream to create the future.”
― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
Explore our literature department for even more inspiration.
Comment and share your favorite quote with us.